Benedetta Romanini e Teresa Scarlata
For Haute Joaillerie, must is synonymous with creative exclusivity, excellence of materials, iconicity of the brand. The sum of these factors makes the Monte Carlo Jewellery auction on July 18th an essential social event and an opportunity to buy dream jewellery that magically combines absolute beauty and craftsmanship.
Of great charm is a brooch with a bow of emeralds, diamonds and pearls from around 1900, as well as a necklace and bracelet in gold, rubies and diamonds from the 1940s, signed by Sotirio Bulgari – founder of the maison (born in Greece under the name of Sotiris Boulgaris). Both are made with a gas tube link and decorated with clusters of cabochon rubies and diamonds. Before opening the prestigious headquarters on Via Condotti in Rome in 1905, with the original sign “Old Curisity Shop” (La bottega dell’antiquario) – based on the title of a novel by Charles Dickens – Sotirio had started his silversmith’s business in Italy first in Naples in 1881, then with tenacity and determination, in the capital in 1884 on Via Sistina, promoting his name with shops in cities known to travellers on the international Grand Tour, such as Sanremo, Bellagio, Sorrento and Saint-Moritz.
Also by Bulgari is a spectacular necklace in gold and coins from 1975, made with a double chain with round and flat rings, to which ten antique silver Persian drachmas arranged in clusters are applied to the front.